Sunday, February 12, 2012

DIY Footstool

While shopping at the local hardware store I spotted some interesting furniture parts.  The medium sized tapered legs caught my eye and made me think...Hmmmm, what could I possibly make with those?  Why, a perfect place to rest my feet after a long day at the campground, of course! 
A handy little footstool was in order, upholstered in the same fabric as the sofas in my vintage Airstream travel trailer.  Mind you, my trailer, Ginger as we call her, is in the midst of a major restoration and will not likely be ready to camp in this summer.  But that doesn't stop me from buying or making great things for her!





Don't ask me why, but I was set on three legs instead of four. There is something a little off about a three legged stool and I love that!

I simply cut a circle from a piece of plywood and attached the legs with angle brackets.  I applied several coats of tung oil to the legs to give them a nice warm color.  I then cut a piece of 2" foam the same size as the plywood round.  Covering the foam, I stapled a layer of poly batting to the bottom of the wood.  I cut the top fabric 1" larger than the foam and sewed it to the side fabric with the piping in between.  I pulled the side fabric down tight around the bottom of the wood and stapled it, first folding the edges under to give it a more finished look.  Like anyone is going to be looking at the bottom of the darn thing!   I am a little OCD like that sometimes.  Lastly, I stapled another run of piping around the bottom because I thought it needed a little something more.




 Simon the cat gives his approval.

And here is our Ginger, waiting for her moment of glory.




'Til we meet again,
Ms. Adventure

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like the kind of family I'd park my Airstream next to!

    ReplyDelete