Sunday, April 15, 2012

Turks Inn

  When driving from the upper peninsula of Michigan to Minneapolis, which takes approximately 8 hours, not too much catches my eye.  An occasional bald eagle, roadkill porcupine, the rare restored vintage Chris Craft and yes, of course, The Turks Inn.  To say that I am intrigued is an understatement.



It's kitschy fantasticness is easy to spot from the highway.  What strikes me odd is the location.  When coming from the U.P., one must pass through miles and miles of remote forest.  Then, out of nowhere is a large KOA campground in the middle of a pine stand.  I find that unique as I would never like to camp in the middle of pine needles and pitch.  It even has a pool with a grand water slide!  Only a few hundred feet more and you come to The Turks Inn.


Look at that roof line!  I am convinced that wonderful adventures lie beyond that door!  Unfortunately, they are still following their winter hours, which is Saturday starting at 5pm.  We were there on a Tuesday afternoon.  Schucks!

I did find some limited information on the internet.  It was built in 1934 and sits several miles outside of Hayward, Wisconsin.  It was apparently quite the place in it's heyday!  I was lucky enough to find some interior pictures.  Oh, I can't wait to have supper there!  And maybe a few drinks too!  How's this for a blast from the past...No credit cards accepted.  They do, however, take personal checks.

The Dining Room
Check out the color of those chairs!


What a fabulous bar!





Even the garage is themed.

No comments:

Post a Comment