Monday, March 26, 2012

Wowsa, Wednesday happens every week!

Okay, okay.  I know it seems like I may have a problem but I swear it's under control.  It certainly makes me happy to find my little treasures and let's face it, there are certainly worse things I could be doing.

I couldn't help myself and made the trip back out to the middle of nowhere last Wednesday.  I had spied a few things that I would like on my previous trip so Daddy-o and I headed out.  I figure life is short, why not shell out a little cash.  You can't take it with you, right?
A cute little set of chalkware wall hangings.
I picked up this set of wall hangings with the intention of repairing the damage to the musical notes.  On closer inspection, I don't think this is a set at all.  The finish on the notes seems to be different than on the "Harp".  The central portion is marked "1952 Gary Art Studio".  There are no markings on any of the other pieces.

 The musical notes had several cracks in the neck and were fairly unstable.

I first used superglue in the cracks followed by spackle.  Once the spackle was dry I sanded the repair smooth.  A nice coat of paint and voila!

I chose to touch up the figures as well.  The color had been sprayed on and was pretty sloppy.  I left the faces of the figures untouched because I liked the rosy cheeks. 





I think they look darling!  The colors really pop, yet the faces retain their cherubic quality.  I love the crispness of the gold paint.  I tried several varieties but found that model paint worked the best.






A few other purchases...


Gold slip ons and a vintage barkcloth clutch.  The best $1.50 I've spent in a long time!


A great Sputnik light fixture. The finish is in rough condition but she is so lovely when illuminated that I just could not pass her up. 



'Til we meet again,
Ms. Adventure

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the wall hanging restore! Also, nice score on the sputnik lamp. I'm sure you already know this, but Westinghouse still makes the star bulbs that are used with the sputnik lamps.

    ReplyDelete